Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasRomania

Entry conditions/visas


After its accession to the EU in 2007, Romania started preparations in order to join the Schengen area, which represents the last step to becoming an area of free movement. Until then, the entry on Romanian territory implies a series of conditions for both EU citizens and third-country nationals.

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens do not need a visa when crossing the border to Romania but they are required to present a valid national passport or any document recognized by the Romanian state that certifies their identity. However, one’s stay on national territory cannot exceed 3 months. In such a case, one’s residence must be registered at the territorial offices of the General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI).

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are required at border crossing points to present a passport and a valid entry visa and an invitation (if required). Please check the list of countries whose nationals do not need entry visas for Romania, but the law requires them to present a valid passport at customs. Depending on the period of the academic activity in Romania, non-EU/EEA citizens must apply either for ashort or long stay visa at the diplomatic missions and consular offices. A list can be found on the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

! In order to maintain public order and security, Romanian authorities may deny access on national territory even to third-country nationals who have obtained a visa but only by presenting a written decision stating the reasons for this measure. More details can be found on the official website of the Romanian Border Police, Entry Conditions section.



Work Permit

The professional activity of foreign citizens on national territory can only be carried out with a Work Notice or a Work Permit.



Foreign citizens who wish to conduct professional activities in Romania must request a short or long term visa.

This can be requested:

In special situations, a short term visa may be obtained from the Romanian Border Police, according to law.

Visa application forms are available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The fees for short and long term visas are 60 and 120 euro and will be paid in the country where the request was made. For detailed information about visa terms and other charges, visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Some visa fees can be different depending on bilateral agreements.

Short term visa (symbol C) – grants the owner access and right to reside on Romanian territory for a maximum period of 90 days within a 6 month period beginning with the entry date, without the possibility of extending this term.

Long term visa (symbol D) – grants the owner access and right to reside on Romanian territory for a period of 90 days which can be extended by submitting a request to the General Inspectorate for Immigration. This request must be submitted at least 30 days before the visa expiration date. A long term visa allows you to obtain a residence permit.




Registration certificate and residence card

EU and EEA citizens have access on Romanian territory and they can stay up to 3 months without any administrative procedures.

If your stay in Romania exceeds 3 months, residence registration is required at the General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI) in the county where you live in by submitting a series of documents.

  1. If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you have to submit a request for a registration certificate which is issued on the same day of your request and is valid between 1 and 5 years.
  2. If you are a family member of an EU/EEA citizen, you have to submit the necessary files to obtain a residence card which takes up to 90 days to be issued. The card is valid up to 5 years but no longer than the stay of the EU/EEA citizen of whose family you are part of.

Depending on the purpose of your residency, you will need to submit a different list of documents.

For example, if you need a registration certificate with employment purpose, you will need the following:

  • Standard application
  • ID card or passport in original and in copy;
  • Employment contract in original and in copy or a certificate/ statement from your employer
  • Print Screen from the general employee registry of the data regarding the employment contract, stamped and signed by the employer, to confirm the authenticity of the document.
  • Taxes.

In order to check the list of documents for each category, please visit the IGI website, section Residence registration.

Permanent residence card

In case of a continuous and legal residence on national territory for a period longer than 5 years, EU/EEA citizens and family members have the right to ask for permanent residence. The card is valid up to 10 years from its issuing date, except in the case of children under 14, whose card validity cannot exceed 5 years.

Check the list of necessary documents to obtain a permanent residence card on the IGI website, Permanent residencesection.

The right of permanent residence may be lost in case of an absence longer than 2 consecutive years.