Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasRomania

Family members


Family members of EU/EEA citizens can travel to Romania without a visa. As far as non EU/EEA family members are concerned, they need to submit their documents in order to receive a visa if they do not have a residence permit for a EU/EEA country. In some cases, they may need to present an invitation from a Romanian citizen or from a foreigner who is in possession of a residence permit.

Non-EU/EEA citizens may apply for family reunification at the Authority for Foreigners, only if they hold a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit, valid for one year or longer, or own an EU Blue Card.

For foreign citizens conducting scientific research in Romania, the residence permit may be valid for even less than a year. The request may be made only regarding the first degree relatives of the researcher in question.

The request to obtain a long term visa for family reunification should be submitted to the territorial units of the General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI) in order to obtain approval. A reply to the request will be received within a 90-day period.

The long stay visa for family reunification can be obtained from Romanian diplomatic missions and consular offices abroad by submitting the answer from IGI. In addition, the application visa, proof of medical insurance, criminal record and/or any other document with the same legal value need to be submitted.

Once arrived in Romania, family members are required to obtain a residence permit. The application for residence permit will be solved in 30 days after having been submitted. Extension of the residence right/permit is made for each family member separately for a maximum period of up to 5 years.

Family members may be enrolled in any form of education, following standard procedure and a set of rules and regulations applicable to Romanian citizens.

More details on the application process to any form of education can be found both on the Ministry of National Education and Scientific Research official website, international students section, and at the Childcare/School section of our own website.