Long term visa
Depending on the purpose of the visit and the type of activity performed by foreign citizens, conditions on granting the long stay visa differ. These conditions can be found in the Romanian Visa section of the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
How can one obtain a long term visa for carrying out scientific research?
- The scientific visa is a long stay visa (marked DICS), which gives foreign citizens the right to work on national territory for a period exceeding three months, with the purpose of carrying out a scientific research project.
Before applying for a long stay visa, the researcher must:
- Sign a hosting agreement with a certified institution, under the current law, in which he/ she will carry out his research activity. In Romania, the authorised R&D units are:
- University of Bucharest
- Babes-Bolyai University of Cluj-Napoca
- Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
- "Gheorghe Asachi" Technical University of Iaşi
- Horia Hulubei National Institute for R&D in Physics and Nuclear Engineering (IFIN-HH)
- West University of Timișoara
- National Institute of Research and Development for Technical Physics (NIRDTP) Iasi
- Transilvania University of Brașov
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Tîrgu Mureş
- Romanian Academy – Research Institute for Quality of Life
- National Research and Development Institute for Cryogenic and isotopic Technologies - ICSI Rm. Valcea
- Bucharest University of Economic Studies
- National Research And Development Institute For Electrochemistry And Condensed Material
- Romanian Academy – Institute of Biochemistry Bucharest
- Romanian Institute of Science and Technology
- National Research and Development Institute For Non-Ferrous And Rare Metals - I M N R
- Under this Agreement, R&D units may request the approval of the Ministry of Research and Innovation and of the General Inspectorate for Immigration.
This approval will enable foreign researchers to obtain a long term visa with the purpose of carrying out scientific research activities. Romanian diplomatic missions and consular offices grant long stay visas for a period of 3 months, with one or more trips. In the hosting agreement from the R&D unit, the duration of the research project should be specified. Therefore, the right of residence will be extended for a period equal to the duration stated in the Agreement.
For further information on entry conditions and visa arrangements, one can access the official websites of the Romanian Border Police and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- The application for long stay visa which can be found here;
- The approval of the Ministry of Research and Innovation, under the hosting agreement from the R&D unit;
- National border crossing document - copy and original;
- Criminal record or other document with the same legal value;
- Medical insurance for the period of visa validity, issued by a public or private institution;
- Proof of social health insurance;
For further information on entry conditions and visa arrangements, one can access the official websites of Romanian Border Police and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.